A friend of mine recently asked me what tools to use to clean up a computer of Malware. A friend of his was having issues with malware and a “slow” computer.
I have cleaned well over 500 computers for various friends and peoples (easy 500 – lost count actually) and want to list the tools I “currently” use here for easy access. I do have a website I created many moons ago but it is sadly way out of date: Starpoint Technology Station
I am tired of the endless task, but I want to help friends. Of those 500 plus computers MAYBE 5 people have given me a tip…. MAYBE 5… The current computer I am working on right now has 9 hours of my time tied up. The one before that took me on and off 3 full days. I take these low life Mal/Spy Adware people scum buckets as a challenge.
Malwarebytes – Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is fast and proactive about eliminating malware from your PC. http://www.malwarebytes.org Malwarebytes is the main tool I use and run often on my own machines.
Junkware Removal Tool is a security utility that searches for and removes common adware, toolbars, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your computer. A common tactics among freeware publishers is to offer their products for free, but bundle them with PUPs in order to earn revenue. This tool will help you remove these types of programs. http://thisisudax.org/download/
AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for :
Adware (ads softwares)
PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program) / Toolbars / Hijacker (Hijack of the browser’s homepage https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownl…dwcleaner/
Everything You Can Do with Adblock Plus (That Isn’t Just Blocking Ads)
Adblock Plus is one of the most robust browser extensions out there, and while its namesake is its most-used feature, it’s not just about blocking ads. In fact, you can do all sorts of things with it, including cleaning up Facebook’s interface and making sure web sites aren’t tracking you.
Blocking ads doesn’t support sites like us that create free content, so it’s always a good idea to whitelist the sites in Adblock Plus you really enjoy. It’s a simple process that only takes a couple of seconds.
Go here to read more: Everything You Can Do with Adblock Plus (That Isn’t Just Blocking Ads)
This is an easy way to update to the current firmware of the Linksys/Cisco PAP2T Phone Adapter, using your browser. Using the upgrade url supplied and placing the .bin file in your Dropbox public folder makes it easy.
1. Download the updated firmware file from Cisco/LinkSys (5.1.6 is latest as of today) from here: DOWNLOAD
2. Place the .bin file that is in the .zip file you downloaded into a public Dropbox folder.
3. Go to the Dropbox web interface, find the file select it, and click More Actions –> Copy the public link
4. Open a new browser tab or window and enter the following upgrade URL:
“http://[enter PAP2T-IP here]/admin/upgrade?[enter your Dropbox public link for the .bin file here]”
5. Do not power off the phone adapter. The status light will flash while the firmware is being updated. When the light stops flashing the update is complete.
I recently found this tool that will potentially help speed up your internet browsing. It is called namebench. It hunts down the fastest DNS servers available for your computer to use.
I still feel Firefox is the best tool to use to browse the Internet these days. Though I would share my current list of addons and such:
Get Firefox – The following are the essential addons I use with Firefox for a clean, safer viewing of the Internet:
- Adblock Plus – Annoyed by adverts? Troubled by tracking? Bothered by banners? Install Adblock Plus now to regain control of the internet and change the way that you view the web.
- DownThemAll! – The first and only download manager/accelerator built inside Firefox!
- Easy DragToGo – Allows you to open links in new tabs, serach texts, save images and do more with drag and drop gestures easier.
- Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus – Fight the text ads! Element Hiding Helper is a companion extension for Adblock Plus meant to make creating element hiding rules easier.
- FEBE – FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) allows you to quickly and easily backup your Firefox extensions. In fact, it goes beyond just backing up — It will actually rebuild your extensions individually into installable .xpi files. Now you can easily synchronize your office and home browsers.
- Google Redesigned – A complete redesign of popular Google services, Google Redesigned loads and manages several CSS stylesheets that change the appearance of popular tools.
- KeeFox – KeeFox adds free, secure and easy to use password management features to Firefox which save you time and keep your private data more secure. Think of KeeFox as a bridge or connection between Firefox and KeePass Password Safe, the most popular open source (and free) password manager.
- Read It Later – Save pages to read later with just one click. When you have time, access your reading list from any computer or phone, even without an internet connection!
- Stylish – Restyle the web with Stylish, a user styles manager. Stylish lets you easily install themes and skins for Google, Facebook, YouTube, Orkut, and many, many other sites. You can even customize Firefox and other programs themselves.
- Tab Mix Plus – Tab Mix Plus enhances Firefox’s tab browsing capabilities. It includes such features as duplicating tabs, controlling tab focus, tab clicking options, undo closed tabs and windows, plus much more. It also includes a full-featured session manager.
- Xmarks Sync – Xmarks is the #1 bookmarking add-on. Keep your bookmarks, passwords and open tabs backed up and synchronized across computers and browsers.
- Drudge Style – Updates the lack of style on the Drudge Report (DrudgeReport.com) so it looks cleaner.
- FFixer – Enhancements for Facebook: bigger profile pictures and photos, easier viewing of albums, links to download videos, showing people’s age and sign, google calendar integration, keyboard shortcuts & more. Compatible with new Facebook and fully customizable!
- Profanity Filter – Filters Out Swear Words As You Browse the Internet,
- Yousable TubeFix – Removes ads and unwanted sections (configurable), allows downloading and resizing videos, changes the default video quality, expands the description and the video size, can prevent autoplay and autobuffering, etc.
I found a site that will run tests on various Internet ports to see if your ISP is slowing down your connection speeds. This is called traffic shaping. For example they may slow down your speed if you are watching a flash video (ie YouTube) or slow down your downloads.
Glasnost tests enable you to check whether traffic from your applications is being rate-limited (i.e., throttled) or blocked. There are several tests listed: Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic